As Hiking grows in popularity there is a growing market for well-priced, entry-level hiking gear. Decathlon has entered the chat…
The French outdoor brand has been well-known in Europe for decades, producing no-fuss hiking gear for the masses. But hikers just discovering the brand may wonder if Decathlon´s sub-brands Quecha and Forlaz are actually any good.
Does Forclaz stand up to the rigors of a proper hike or are they just for first-timers and weekend warriors?
In this article we will delve deep into the Forclaz brand, finding out if their products are worth the competitive price tag.
The Forclaz Brand
Forclaz is a brand under the umbrella of Decathlon, a global sports retailer that originated in France in 1976, opening its first U.S. store in 2017.
Their slogan is :
“Maximum adventure, Minimal impact”
Forclaz focuses on providing outdoor gear for hikers and trekkers. It supplies a range of products that cater to different terrains, climates, and skill levels. The brand’s mission is to make outdoor sports accessible to all. With a vision of enabling everyone to enjoy the beauty of nature through well-designed and affordable gear.
With a history dating back to 1976, Forclaz has been continuously evolving to meet the needs of outdoor enthusiasts. The brand takes pride in its innovative approach, constantly pushing the boundaries of design and technology to create gear that is functional, durable, and comfortable.
Forclaz also places a strong emphasis on sustainability. Keeping a commitment to reducing its environmental impact by using eco-friendly materials and production methods. Their values of accessibility, innovation, and sustainability are evident in their products and brand philosophy, making them a popular choice among hikers and trekkers around the world.
What does Forclaz mean?
Forclaz is an old French word, referring to a small pass between 2 peaks.
Where is Forclaz Gear Made?
Forclaz is designed and tested in Decathlon´s mountain headquarters in Sallanches, A mountain town at the base of Mont Blanc, France. With the high mountain peaks above and endless valleys below, we can´t think of a better place to put new equipment to the test!
That said, although Forclaz equipment is designed in France it is mostly produced in Asian countries such as Taiwan.
What’s The Difference Between Quechua And Forclaz?
Quechua and Forclaz are both brands under the Decathlon umbrella, but they cater to different segments of outdoor sports enthusiasts. While both brands offer outdoor gear, there are some differences between them.
Quechua is a brand that focuses on a wider range of outdoor activities, including camping, hiking, trekking, and mountaineering. Their products are designed for various outdoor adventures and cater to different levels of expertise, from beginners to experienced outdoor enthusiasts. Quechua offers a diverse range of gear, including tents, backpacks, clothing, and accessories, suitable for different outdoor environments and climates.
On the other hand, Forclaz specifically caters to hikers and trekkers. Their product range is more specialized for these activities, with a focus on hiking and trekking gear such as hiking boots, backpacks, clothing, and accessories. Forclaz places a strong emphasis on creating gear that is durable, functional, and comfortable for hikers and trekkers, with a particular focus on innovation and sustainability.
In summary, while both Quechua and Forclaz are branded under Decathlon, Quechua offers a broader range of outdoor gear for various activities, while Forclaz specializes in hiking and trekking gear specifically.
How Does Forlaz Stand Up Against Its Competitors?
To evaluate Forclaz against its competitors, we conducted a thorough review of customer feedback, expert reviews, and industry ratings for hiking gear brands.
We looked into various factors, including product quality, durability, functionality, comfort, innovation, and sustainability, to form a comprehensive assessment of Forclaz’s performance relative to its competitors.
Based on our research, Forclaz holds up well against its competitors in the hiking gear market. Customers praise the brand for its durability and functionality, with many reporting that Forclaz gear stands up to the rigors of the trail and performs well in different weather conditions. The brand’s focus on innovation is also evident in the design and features of its gear, providing hikers with practical and reliable solutions for their outdoor adventures.
Moreover, Forclaz’s commitment to sustainability, using eco-friendly materials and production methods, resonates with environmentally-conscious hikers who prioritize sustainable gear choices. This sets Forclaz apart from some competitors and is a significant factor in its appeal to eco-conscious outdoor enthusiasts.
Furthermore, Forclaz offers a good balance between performance and affordability, with competitive pricing compared to other hiking gear brands in the market. This makes Forclaz gear accessible to a wide range of hikers, from beginners to experienced adventurers and provides value for money.
Pros And Cons Of Buying Forclaz Hiking Gear
Pros of buying Forclaz hiking gear
- Quality and Durability: Forclaz is known for producing durable and reliable hiking gear that can withstand the rigors of outdoor adventures. Their gear is designed to perform well in different weather conditions, providing hikers with gear they can trust on the trail.
- Functionality and Innovation: Forclaz focuses on practicality and functionality in its gear design, with innovative features that enhance the performance and comfort of its products. They often incorporate user-friendly designs and practical solutions to meet the needs of hikers.
- Value for Money: Forclaz offers competitive pricing compared to some other hiking gear brands, making their products accessible and affordable for a wide range of hikers. This provides value for money, allowing hikers to get quality gear without breaking the bank.
- Sustainability: Forclaz has a commitment to sustainability, using eco-friendly materials and production methods in its gear. This may appeal to environmentally-conscious hikers who prioritize sustainable gear choices.
Cons of buying Forclaz hiking gear
- Limited Brand Recognition: Forclaz, as a brand under Decathlon, may not have the same level of brand recognition and reputation as some other established hiking gear brands. This is a consideration for those who prioritize brand reputation and brand “cool points” in their purchasing decision.
- Limited Product Range: Forclaz specifically focuses on hiking, trekking, and camping gear for the everyday user. Their equipment does not cater to special conditions such as mountaineering or extreme climates. For such adventures, you will need to venture out to more specialist brands.
- Fit and Sizing: Some customers have reported issues with the sizing and fit of Forclaz gear, with occasional inconsistencies. It’s important to carefully review size charts and read customer reviews to ensure the right fit for individual preferences and body types.
- Availability: Forclaz gear is primarily available through Decathlon stores or online. This may limit the availability for some customers depending on their location. Access to physical stores may be limited in certain regions, which could impact the purchasing options.
The Forclaz MT Range Explained
When choosing your new Forclaz item you may notice that they have MT and a number beside them. These numbers refer to the design and quality of the products.
- MT100 – The most basic and simple product. These products are still great for trekking but may lack features such as waterproofing or maybe a bit heavier.
- MT500 – A good middle ground and we feel offers the most attractive option when it comes to price offer spec.
- MT900 – Produced to compete with high-end brands and therefore has a higher price tag. (which is still competitive given the functions and quality)
Is Forclaz A Good Brand?
In our opinion, Forclaz is a pretty awesome brand for hiking gear!
If you are looking for 3-season hiking gear. They’ve got some really affordable options that won’t break the bank. Their gear is designed with practicality and functionality in mind. Plus, they’re always innovating and coming up with new ways to make your hiking experience even better.
Forclaz may lack the street cred of big brands such as The North Face and Patagonia. But if you are looking for function over fashion then you will easily find what you are looking for in their range.
It’s also great to know that Forclaz is associated with Decathlon. A well-known sports retailer known for its wide range of outdoor gear. And, they even care about sustainability, using eco-friendly materials and production methods. So, if you’re looking for reliable gear that won’t break the bank, Forclaz is definitely worth checking out! Happy hiking!
Other Helpful Articles
If you found this article helpful you will love these too!