One of the most famous sneaker brands in the world has entered the outdoor sports market in a big way! But the question on everyone’s lips is… ” Is Adidas Terrex a good brand, and are their products worth the price tag?”
Let’s dive in!
The Adidas Terrex Brand
Terrex is the outdoor line brought to you by Adidas. It’s all about gear designed to handle rough and tough adventures. Whether you are scaling a mountain or running through the local park, Terrex is designed to stand up to whatever you can throw at it.
The Adidas Terrex line was introduced back in 2007, and since then, it has gained quite a reputation among outdoor enthusiasts. The name “Terrex” actually comes from the Latin word “terra,” which means earth or land. So, you can see that they wanted to emphasize their focus on conquering the wilderness.
Terrex is all about pushing the boundaries and exploring the unknown. They’ve partnered with some incredible athletes such as mountain runner Ekaterina Mityaeva and big wall climber Kevin Jorgeson along with others who excel in outdoor sports like climbing, trail running, and mountain biking. These athletes provide valuable insights and feedback to help create gear that can perform at the highest level.
Adidas owns several other outdoor sports brands and can use their technologies throughout their Terrex line. This gives them a huge advantage over independent brands such as Patagonia, who must start from scratch or pay large sums for similar technology.
Some of the brands that Adidas owns are:
- Reebok: Reebok is a well-known global athletic footwear and apparel brand. Adidas acquired Reebok in 2006, expanding its presence in the fitness and lifestyle market.
- Runtastic: Runtastic is a popular fitness tracking and digital health company. Adidas acquired Runtastic in 2015 to strengthen its digital fitness offerings.
- Five Ten: Five Ten is a brand renowned for its high-performance outdoor footwear, particularly in the climbing and mountain biking sectors. Adidas acquired Five Ten in 2011, adding to its presence in the outdoor sports market.
- Matix Clothing: Matix is a California-based lifestyle clothing brand that specializes in skateboarding and streetwear. Adidas acquired Matix Clothing in 2014.
- Salomon: While Adidas does not own Salomon outright, it has a significant stake in the company. Salomon is a renowned French brand specializing in outdoor sports equipment, including skiing, snowboarding, hiking, and trail running gear. Adidas acquired Salomon in 1997 but sold most of its shares in 2005 while retaining a minority stake.
What is the difference between Adidas and Adidas Terrex?
The main difference between Adidas and Adidas Terrex lies in their respective product lines and intended purposes.
Adidas is a globally recognized sportswear brand that offers a wide range of products, including athletic shoes, apparel, and accessories, covering various sports and lifestyle activities. Adidas is known for its innovative designs, performance-driven technologies, and fashion-forward styles.
On the other hand, Adidas Terrex is a specific line within the Adidas brand that focuses on outdoor footwear, apparel, and equipment.
Terrex is designed specifically for outdoor activities such as hiking, trail running, climbing, and other adventurous pursuits. It caters to individuals who seek durable, high-performance gear to tackle challenging terrains and weather conditions.
While both Adidas and Adidas Terrex share the same commitment to quality and performance, the distinction lies in their specific target markets and areas of expertise.
Adidas Terrex caters to outdoor enthusiasts and adventurers, providing specialized products that are rugged, reliable, and optimized for outdoor activities.
With almost 80 years in the game, Adidas knows a thing or two about footwear.
We love how the Terrex line has completely redefined what an outdoor shoe or boot is supposed to look like. These futuristic designs are full of color and bring some life to the drap, dulled-down traditional hiking boots.
Traditionalists will turn up their noses at the neoprene socks and the boa systems that some of the models come with, but there’s a market for everyone. The young generation looking for style and comfort will turn their heads to these designs.
Technologies Incorporated In Adidas Terrex Footwear
When it comes to footwear, Terrex shoes, and boots are known for their durability and traction. They incorporate cutting-edge technologies to enhance the outdoor experience. One of their popular features is the Continental rubber outsoles. Yep, you heard it right, the same rubber that you find on car tires.
Continental is known for producing rubber that provides amazing grip on all sorts of surfaces, whether it’s wet rocks or slippery mud. This rubber is perfect for the soles of hiking boots and trail running shoes!
Terrex also understands the importance of comfort. Borrowing from their sneaker line, they’ve integrated Boost cushioning technology into some of their shoes, which gives you that extra bounce in your step. It’s like walking on grippy clouds.
Other footwear technologies used by Adidas are:
- Gore-Tex: Many Terrex models incorporate Gore-Tex technology, a waterproof and breathable membrane that keeps your feet dry while allowing moisture and heat to escape. It provides reliable protection in wet and challenging conditions.
- Adiprene+ Cushioning: Adiprene+ is a cushioning technology used in specific Terrex models. It offers additional shock absorption and impact protection for enhanced comfort and performance.
- Speed Lacing System: Some Terrex shoes feature a speed lacing system that allows for quick and easy adjustment of fit. This feature ensures a secure and personalized fit while minimizing time spent tying and adjusting laces.
- EVA Midsole: Many Terrex shoes utilize EVA (ethylene-vinyl acetate) midsoles. EVA is a lightweight and flexible foam material that provides cushioning and support for long-lasting comfort during outdoor activities.
- TPU Overlays: Terrex shoes often incorporate TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) overlays in strategic areas to provide added support, protection, and durability. These overlays help shield the shoe against abrasions and enhance overall performance.
- Torsion System: The Torsion System is a feature found in some Terrex models. It provides stability and arch support, allowing for a smooth transition during movement while maintaining flexibility.
- Stealth Rubber Outsole: In addition to Continental rubber, some Terrex climbing and approach shoes use Stealth rubber, known for its exceptional grip and traction on rocky surfaces, making them ideal for technical climbs and scrambles.
Here is a rundown of Terrex’s most popular footwear models and their purpose:
- Terrex Free Hiker: A high-performance hiking shoe with a sock-like fit, responsive cushioning, and excellent traction.
- Terrex Swift R2 GTX: A lightweight hiking shoe with a waterproof Gore-Tex membrane, durable construction, and grippy outsole.
- Terrex AX3: A versatile hiking shoe designed for stability, comfort, and traction on various terrains.
- Terrex Skychaser: A trail running shoe that combines a lightweight design with responsive cushioning and reliable grip.
- Terrex Agravic XT GTX: A trail running shoe with a waterproof Gore-Tex membrane, responsive cushioning, and aggressive traction.
- Terrex Two: A durable trail running shoe with a comfortable fit, cushioned midsole, and rugged outsole.
- Terrex Trailmaker: A lightweight and breathable trail running shoe with durable construction and reliable grip.
- Terrex Speed: A lightweight approach shoe with a sticky rubber outsole for climbing and scrambling.
- Terrex Swift Solo: An approach shoe designed for hiking and scrambling, offering stability, grip, and durability.
- Terrex Scope GTX: A mountaineering boot with a waterproof and breathable Gore-Tex membrane, crampon compatibility, and rugged traction.
Let’s not forget about their clothing. Terrex offers a range of outdoor apparel that’s designed to protect you from the elements in some of the harshest environments.
Adidas Terrex offers a diverse range of outdoor clothing designed to keep you comfortable and protected during your outdoor adventures. Here’s more information about their clothing range:
- Jackets: Terrex jackets are designed to protect from the elements. They offer waterproof and windproof properties to keep you dry and shielded you from rain and strong winds. Some jackets feature breathable membranes, such as Gore-Tex, to ensure optimal comfort and moisture management. They do a great range of packable jackets that are light and packed very small, perfect for your backpack.
- Pants and Shorts: Terrex offers pants and shorts designed for outdoor activities. These bottoms are crafted from durable and stretchy fabrics to provide freedom of movement. Some models are water-resistant or feature reinforced panels in high-wear areas for enhanced durability.
- Base Layers: Terrex offers base layers designed to regulate body temperature and moisture. These layers are typically lightweight, moisture-wicking, and quick-drying, making them suitable for layering in various weather conditions.
- T-shirts and Tops: Terrex provides a range of t-shirts and tops that are designed for outdoor performance. They are typically made from moisture-wicking materials to keep you dry during physical activities. Some models may incorporate features like UV protection and odor-resistant properties.
- Accessories: Terrex offers a variety of outdoor accessories to complement their clothing range. This includes hats, gloves, socks, and buffs. These accessories are designed to provide additional protection and comfort during your outdoor pursuits.
Technologies Incorporated In Terrex Clothing
Adidas owns and uses some amazing technologies for the Terrex brand. Most have been borrowed from their different sporting lines and are perfect for outdoor use.
Here are some of our favorite clothing technologies, regularly used in Terrex products:
- Gore-Tex: Gore-Tex is a waterproof and breathable membrane used in select Terrex jackets and pants. It provides reliable protection from rain and wind while allowing moisture and heat to escape, keeping you dry and comfortable.
- Climalite: Climalite is a moisture-wicking fabric technology used in Terrex clothing. It quickly and efficiently pulls sweat away from your skin, promoting evaporation and keeping you dry during intense activities.
- UPF (Ultraviolet Protection Factor): Some Terrex garments feature UPF technology to protect your skin from harmful UV rays. This helps reduce the risk of sunburn and provides added protection during outdoor activities in sunny conditions.
- Polartec: Terrex uses Polartec fabrics in certain clothing items. Polartec offers insulation, warmth, and breathability, allowing for optimal temperature regulation in cold weather conditions.
- Pertex: Pertex is a lightweight and durable fabric often used in Terrex jackets. It provides weather resistance, windproofing, and breathability, making it suitable for outdoor activities in various conditions.
- Stretch Fabric: Terrex incorporates stretch fabrics into their clothing to enhance mobility and freedom of movement. These fabrics allow for unrestricted motion, making them ideal for active pursuits like climbing, hiking, and trail running.
- Durable Water Repellent (DWR) Coating: Many Terrex garments feature a DWR coating that repels water, allowing it to bead off the fabric surface. This helps keep you dry in light rain or drizzle.
- Merino Wool: In some Terrex base layers and tops, you may find the use of Merino wool. Merino wool provides excellent moisture management, odor resistance, and temperature regulation, keeping you comfortable during various activities and climates.
Are Terrex Shoes True To Size?
Adidas Terrex shoes generally tend to run true to size, but it can vary depending on the specific model and individual preferences. To ensure the best fit, it’s recommended to consult the size chart provided by Adidas or try on the shoes in person if possible.
Where is Terrex Made?
Adidas Terrex shoes are manufactured in various countries around the world.
Adidas, like many other global footwear brands, has production facilities in different locations to meet the demand for its products and optimize supply chain efficiency.
The specific manufacturing locations for Terrex shoes can vary depending on the model and season. Adidas has production facilities in countries such as China, Vietnam, Indonesia, India, Thailand, and many others. These facilities adhere to strict quality control standards to ensure the production of high-quality footwear.
It’s worth noting that Adidas, as a company, is committed to responsible and ethical manufacturing practices. They strive to ensure fair working conditions, sustainability, and compliance with applicable labor and environmental regulations in their global supply chain.
Pros Of Buying Terrex
There are several advantages to buying Adidas Terrex products. Here are some of the pros of choosing Terrex:
- Quality and Durability: Terrex products are known for their high quality and durability. Whether it’s footwear, apparel, or equipment, Terrex is designed to withstand the demands of outdoor activities. The use of robust materials and construction techniques ensures that Terrex products can handle rugged terrains and challenging conditions.
- Performance-Driven Design: Terrex is specifically designed for outdoor enthusiasts and athletes. The products are carefully engineered to provide optimal performance, incorporating features such as traction, stability, cushioning, and protection. This makes Terrex gear well-suited for activities like hiking, trail running, climbing, and more.
- Innovative Technologies: Adidas Terrex integrates innovative technologies into its products to enhance performance and comfort. From advanced cushioning systems to weatherproof membranes like Gore-Tex, Terrex utilizes cutting-edge features to improve functionality and protect against the elements.
- Versatility: Terrex offers a versatile range of products that cater to different outdoor activities. Whether you’re a hiker, trail runner, climber, or general outdoor enthusiast, you can find suitable Terrex gear for your preferred activity. Their product lineup includes shoes, apparel, and equipment designed to meet various needs and performance requirements.
- Brand Reputation: Adidas is a well-established and reputable brand in the sportswear industry. Their commitment to quality, innovation, and customer satisfaction extends to the Terrex line. Choosing Terrex allows you to benefit from the expertise and reputation of a trusted brand.
- Style and Aesthetics: Terrex products not only excel in performance but also offer stylish designs. Adidas incorporates modern and sporty aesthetics into the Terrex line, allowing you to enjoy both functionality and fashion when participating in outdoor activities.
Cons of Buying Terrex
While there are many advantages to buying Adidas Terrex products, it’s also important to consider potential drawbacks or cons. Here are a few points to keep in mind:
- Higher Price Range: Adidas Terrex products, being high-quality outdoor gear, often come with a higher price tag compared to some other brands. The advanced technologies, durable materials, and innovative design features contribute to the higher cost. This might be a deterrent for budget-conscious individuals or those looking for more affordable options.
- Limited Availability: Depending on your location, the availability of Terrex products may be limited. Some regions or stores may have a smaller selection or may not carry the full range of Terrex gear. This could potentially limit your options or require additional effort to find specific Terrex products.
- Style Preference: While Terrex is well-regarded for its performance-driven design, some individuals may prefer a different style or aesthetic. If you have specific style preferences that don’t align with the sporty or technical look of Terrex, you may need to explore other brands or collections to find a style that suits your tastes.
Is Terrex Sustainably Made?
As part of Adidas’ broader sustainability initiatives, Terrex incorporates sustainable materials into its products.
This includes the use of recycled materials such as recycled polyester and recycled rubber, reducing the reliance on virgin resources and diverting waste from landfills.
Additionally, Adidas collaborates with Parley for the Oceans, integrating recycled ocean plastic into select Terrex products to combat marine plastic pollution. Adidas has also established environmental standards and guidelines for its supply chain, which includes the production of Terrex items.
These standards focus on minimizing environmental impact, reducing water usage, and managing waste. Furthermore, Adidas prioritizes responsible manufacturing practices, ensuring fair labor conditions and safe workplaces throughout the supply chain.
Is Adidas Terrex A Good Brand?
Based on everything discussed above, I’d say Adidas Terrex is a pretty solid brand for outdoor gear and clothing.
They’re known for making durable and high-quality products that can handle all sorts of outdoor activities. Whether it´s hiking, trail running, climbing, or doing snow sports. Terrex has got you covered with their performance-driven designs.
And hey, they’re making efforts to be more sustainable too! They use recycled materials, like polyester and ocean plastic, and have environmental standards in place to minimize their impact.
So, if you’re looking for gear that’s reliable, built to last, and conscious of the environment, Terrex is worth checking out!
Other Helpful Articles
If you found this article helpful you will love these too!